Fat bikes often don’t come with suspension forks. The reason is because you are able to ride your tires at lower PSI and that makes the ride smoother, but as soon as you take something more technical you will start missing that suspension fork.
So we created a list of the best fat bike suspension forks available for you to upgrade.
Wren Inverted Fork
Not very known but still a very popular choice. These fork come in 135mm or 150mm spacing and 36 stanchions. Wren says these forks have been tested and work great in very cold conditions.
Their 2015 105mm fat bike fork has the following specs (from Wren website):
- Hub Spacing: 150mm
- Tire Size: ≤ 26″ x 5.0″
- AC Length: 505mm (adjustable to 495mm, 485mm or 475mm)
- Travel: 100mm (adjustable to 90mm, 80mm or 70mm)
- Steerer: AL7050, Straight – 1.125″
- Crown: AL6066T6 3D forged
- Stanchions: AL7050 hard anodized, 36mm
- Uppers: AL7050 hard anodized, 43mm
- Dropouts: Forged
- Axle: QR15 included
- Brake: Post mount
- Offset: 45mm
- Weight: 2149 grams / 4.7 pounds
More information: Wren Suspension
The most popular choice. Pretty much all the high-end fat bikes these days come with a Rockshox Bluto. The initial batch did have a few issues with the sealing but that has been fixed on the updated version.
Initially released in 2013, this fork is the most used fat bike fork. With more than a few versions available, you can find a Bluto in 80mm, 100mm and 120mm of travel. It weights around 1800grams and there are versions with remote lock.
- TRAVEL 80/100/120mm
- WHEELS 26″
- AXLE TO CROWN 491mm – 80mm travel, 511mm – 100mm travel, 531mm – 120mm travel
- WEIGHT 1796g (3.96lb)
- Solo Air
- Crown or remote compression to lockout, rebound
- Tapered aluminum steerer
- Forged AL66 TV aluminum crown
- 32mm aluminum, Fast Black upper tubes
Lauf Carbonara Fat Bike Suspension Fork
The most unconventional fat bike suspension fork in the list. It’s made of military spec S2 glassfiber springs sitting on a suspended front axle. It’s reported to work just great and it’s very lightweight at sub 1100grams. It has a 60mm travel.
- For 26” fat or 29+
- 60mm travelUnder 1100g
- Spring Rate: Regular (over 80kg riders) and Light (under 85kg riders)
- 15mm Lauf thru axle
- 150mm spacing
- 51mm Rake
- 494mm Axle to crown
- Tapered 1 1/8” – 1 1/2” Steerer
- 180mm rotor size
- Max tire width: 4.8” (26″ fat) or 3.0″ (29+)
- Rider weight limit: 120kg / 265lbs